Skip to main content

Wedding Chronicles (a re-post from Malakai's Pages)

Max and I went to downtown Manila last weekend to attend a long-overdue wedding of a doctor cousin of his — one of the oldest in his family and perhaps one of the more dashing, debonair  Ballecer dude. The experience was kind of surreal because it brought me back to when it was my turn to "walk the aisle."
While waiting, one of the relatives asked me, "Who goes first, the principal sponsors or flower girls?"
Naturally, I scrambled down memory lane as I always do these days — wait a minute (kapeng mainit!), how would I know?!?  I was the last to walk that time!!!
Thank god for church coordinators!
       
Sir, kayo po muna ni ma’am…Sir, dito po kayo, ma’am tabi po kayo kay sir.             Sir, dito po ang hawak…..
And as we sat and watched them parade (with fathers and mothers, sisters and daughters, sons and friends frantically clicking away on their low res camera phones to capture a moment of the "walk"), I reminisced. I poked Max on his side and asked, "what were you thinking when you were up front and I was still outside the church?"
And his serious answer was: "…um, waiting for you?" [Sweet no?]
That earned him more pokes.
But just the  same, I couldn’t help but  let my mind wander…
It has been a hot hour or so in the BMW bridal car that Max got for me (a, e, hot kasi nag-o-overheat na yung caru no!). I was parked right outside the church, cameras still  clicking away whenever I’d open my window to talk to either Carmie or Kareen or whoever else that needed something.
I summoned Fr. Armand for my confession bit and all he told me was that I was a free man and that all I had to do was enjoy the ceremony. Kewl!
Then they closed the huge front doors of the old church and let me out of the car (my gay uncle attending to the needs of my bridal gown).
And when it opened, the brightness of the outside (gimme a breyk, that was right after lunch!) battled the dark interiors and blinded me for a bit. The music was not the traditional wedding march, but at the suggestion of my MIL, we put "Ave Maria" on the player. A bit disorienting because growing up I would literally practice my march and there was not much to march to in Ave Maria.
My first step and that was when i uttered it — "ay, ka-tense!" and I almost tripped on my one-inch heels! And there it goes again, "ay, ka-tense!" and I almost trip again. And the third installment fell in step with my third step: "ay, ka-tense!" [thought balloon: surely they could not hear me...]
Thereafter, I literally floated to my parents who were waiting in the middle of the length of the aisle. And as they practically carried me to the front where Max was waiting, I saw a flurry of smiling faces: Max’s friend, Mac Dallarte and some other friends that seemed to have lost their names.
Reaching the front, my Mom kissed me with my veil on  so imagine a blot of red lipstick on the left part of my veil which I cant seem to ignore. My Dad gripped me (thought he was going to slap me), and only uttered his pet name for me and then tenderly raised my veil and kissed me on the cheek. That was the most tender face i saw of my Dad.
And all so suddenly, Max was at my side, gently helping me up the steps to our respective spaces in front of the altar.
This is it!
Kaso mo, I badly needed to go to the bathroom for a pee. What do you expect? I looked like I was going to the delivery room the next day!
                                                       
#            #            #

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Welcome to my bag...

If you were to be trapped on an island and you only had one thing you can bring with you there, what'll it be? Your cellphone, sans the charger? What good is that?... Your trendy laptop? And if you run out of batt, how can you kill all the pigs with your angry birds? Or your freshly delivered iPad2, and if there's no wifi, you will have a very ergonomic tray fit for cookies and tea. But not me -- of all the things that I can take with me, it's my most precious bag. And if you know me like my husband or BFF, you'd know that my bags are no ordinary bags. Imagine her little tote in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? I'd have a blast if my bag could hold a tent fit for me and my boys! But that's how essential my bag is for me. It is basic, indispensable and utterly necessary for obvious reasons. It holds my identity, and hosts loads of other things that are important to me -- from phones to make-up, from pens to life-saving pills, and toys for my small a

The Giant Wakes Up

Today, a sleeping giant woke up following a 3-year hiatus. Not to devour what's on her path...Not to harm anyone (she's not made for that)...But to re-live the life she forgot. I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up -- to voraciously write about anything: poetry, songs, news, features, publicity stories, misalettes (yes), speeches (uh-huh) and at one point  I started a young love novel (Not Shakespearean at all, only meant for paperbacks) written manually  on sheets of recycled paper. As of this writing, this manuscript is now a tummy-filler for a colony of termies living inside our house. Either that or blown away through an open window. Simple enough. NOT!!! Fast forward to making presentations to my internal team, my gamut of clients and sometimes, in classes of teaching buddies. For someone who's an introvert, there was nothing to it. Practice makes perfect, er near perfect is more like it. Then came a series of misfortunes: finding out that a series of migra

I’m the bomb!

Doctor X: You’ve got aneurysm. Me: a new what? Aneurysm. Defined by Wikipedia as a localized, blood-filled balloon-like bulge in the wall of a blood vessel, they can commonly occur in arteries at the base of the brain and an aortic aneurysm occurs in the main artery carrying blood from the left ventricle of the heart. Doctor X: When its size increases, there is a significant risk of rupture, resulting in severe hemorrhage, other complications or death. Aneurysms can be hereditary or caused by disease, both of which cause the wall of the blood vessel to weaken.... I was swiftly brought back to four years ago when they said I had a tumor in my brain that they had to take out. Surreal. I did not know how to channel my reactions – these things only happen in movies. Since when did I get on the Truman Show? Avant art? No. This is a CT Angiogram of my cerebral arteries. Doctor X: You have a 2% risk of rupture and it will increase at that rate every year that you leave it alone… A