Skip to main content

People pray for the summer to extend. I, on the other hand, can’t help but be happy in spite of Rain…. (a re-post from Malakai's Pages)

I had planned to write about the grim stuff I’ve gone through at PGH during my operation exactly a week ago, but no matter how drab my room got to be, a ray of sunshine always came through for me in this bubbly girl I only know of now as “Rain.”  (not sure if I heard her say her name right but Max refers to her as “Rain” and so “Rain” she shall be from now on).
Her mother occupies bed number 2 in our ward. I’ve never seen her get up from her bed but she has countless visitors everyday (usually towards noon time). Her legs are paralyzed from thigh down but she can flex her foot from time to time. She has this ritual of getting “prettified” in the morning before lunch and Rain would do the final touches of putting on color to her cheeks and lips. She is suffering from a sever kind of tumor in the torso, which has now spread to her spine. The bright side is, that it’s not eating into her bones…yet.
She is an average government employee (some bureau that I don’t recall now). And her husband is a policeman. They’re both on “indefinite leave,” brags Rain one time that she was in my area.
Rain, herself, has resigned from the call center she has spent over a year after school in to take care of her mom personally. The oldest of three siblings, Rain has a machine gun for a mouth. In the short span of time we knew her, I was entertained by stories of her present BF, whom her Mom does not like, and her ex-suitor who died silently of another brain defect; and her controversial exit from the call center she worked for.
The AE in me got worried about where funds for hospitalization will come. But like a free little bird, Rain brushed this thought aside, saying, “pera lang yan. May pagkukunan nyan. Pero kita mo, Mommy, ang daming nagmamahal sa yo, wala kang karapatang sumuko!”
I see her Mom silently cringing sometimes – perhaps when the pain is too much to bear. She was supposed to be on a program by the hospital (or government) that would pay all their medication expenses, but a recent call for chemotherapy disqualified them from it. I gathered they’re also doing cobalt treatment for her (I had meant to google it as soon as I came home but guess my brain was still in shutdown mode and could not grasp the isotopes description that was flashed on my screen; I reckon its some radioactive thingi they give her, for my peace of mind).
I see her Mom crying every now and then – even with visitors around. But in spite of her tears, she still looked beautiful for her age and her condition. It was this pretty face smiling encouragement at me that I brought to the operation room the day I went under the knife. She had so much spirit in her. She remembered perhaps from Rain’s stories that I was to be wheeled out very early on Thursday morning and so it was she alone I saw that was up from among 7 beds.


Now, nine days after, I am in the comforts of my own home, under the covers. The sky is overcast this Saturday morning. Looks like it’ll rain, but for sure, Rain and her Mom is still in bed number 2 of Room 407.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m the bomb!

Doctor X: You’ve got aneurysm. Me: a new what? Aneurysm. Defined by Wikipedia as a localized, blood-filled balloon-like bulge in the wall of a blood vessel, they can commonly occur in arteries at the base of the brain and an aortic aneurysm occurs in the main artery carrying blood from the left ventricle of the heart. Doctor X: When its size increases, there is a significant risk of rupture, resulting in severe hemorrhage, other complications or death. Aneurysms can be hereditary or caused by disease, both of which cause the wall of the blood vessel to weaken.... I was swiftly brought back to four years ago when they said I had a tumor in my brain that they had to take out. Surreal. I did not know how to channel my reactions – these things only happen in movies. Since when did I get on the Truman Show? Avant art? No. This is a CT Angiogram of my cerebral arteries. Doctor X: You have a 2% risk of rupture and it will increase at that rate every year that you leave it alone… A

The Giant Wakes Up

Today, a sleeping giant woke up following a 3-year hiatus. Not to devour what's on her path...Not to harm anyone (she's not made for that)...But to re-live the life she forgot. I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up -- to voraciously write about anything: poetry, songs, news, features, publicity stories, misalettes (yes), speeches (uh-huh) and at one point  I started a young love novel (Not Shakespearean at all, only meant for paperbacks) written manually  on sheets of recycled paper. As of this writing, this manuscript is now a tummy-filler for a colony of termies living inside our house. Either that or blown away through an open window. Simple enough. NOT!!! Fast forward to making presentations to my internal team, my gamut of clients and sometimes, in classes of teaching buddies. For someone who's an introvert, there was nothing to it. Practice makes perfect, er near perfect is more like it. Then came a series of misfortunes: finding out that a series of migra

Welcome to my bag...

If you were to be trapped on an island and you only had one thing you can bring with you there, what'll it be? Your cellphone, sans the charger? What good is that?... Your trendy laptop? And if you run out of batt, how can you kill all the pigs with your angry birds? Or your freshly delivered iPad2, and if there's no wifi, you will have a very ergonomic tray fit for cookies and tea. But not me -- of all the things that I can take with me, it's my most precious bag. And if you know me like my husband or BFF, you'd know that my bags are no ordinary bags. Imagine her little tote in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? I'd have a blast if my bag could hold a tent fit for me and my boys! But that's how essential my bag is for me. It is basic, indispensable and utterly necessary for obvious reasons. It holds my identity, and hosts loads of other things that are important to me -- from phones to make-up, from pens to life-saving pills, and toys for my small a