Skip to main content

Stolen form my BFF's blog (a re-post from Malakai's Pages)

Wala lang. Its not that i wanted to re-live the agonizing moments before my operation last year but its entries like these two from my best friend that makes me think our friendship truly is, for life!

16 1/2 hours

Postoperation
She’s
a real trooper. She forced herself into a smile when I leaned forward
to greet her. It was a little past midnight. “Sorry, it took me this
long,” I whispered. I wanted to hug her frail body, but I was afraid I
might hurt her.

* * *

Upo ka dito, she said, tapping the space beside her.
You need anything?
Wala. Kwentuhan mo lang ako.
It
must have felt like eternity for her. I’ve never been operated on
before, so I can only imagine what the entire ordeal must have taken
from her. Time, precious time, that she could have spent having good
conversations…laughter…playtime…stimulating book…soft
music…entertaining movie…favorite TV show…delicious meal…heck, even a
productive client presentation.
Kwentuhan
mo lang ako…on normal days, this request may be considered empty. But
in this particular instance, it cried painful longing. You can’t say no
to something like that. Not under the circumstances.


* * *

I
ran my steel comb through her hair, strands made brittle by dried blood
from the operation. She would flinch whenever it gets painful, so I
decided to put leave-on conditioner to make her hair more manageable.
Thick strands fell off here and there. Flakes of dried blood covered
her shoulders and the top of the hospital bed. I couldn’t stand it, but
she always loved to keep her hair beautiful. I don’t know how long it
took me to tie her hair into a side pony, but when I finally did, I saw
her break into a satisfied smile. It was all worth it. I made her feel
good again.

* * *

She
took a healthy bite off the raisin bread that Max brought her. I knew
then she would do just fine. God has been good. As always. A gentle
kiss, a faint goodbye, and a glance that meant, “I’ll see you soon.” It
was 4:30 in the afternoon.
| TrackBack (0)
                           

Thesis of life

My
best friend is trying to defend her life against brain tumor. In a few
days, she will go under the knife and prove that she deserves an A for
fighting this through.
The pain that I am feeling from just watching her struggle against
this illness is nothing compared with her fear and physical agony. It’s
very difficult to listen to her voice it out everyday while I drive her
to and from work. It crushes me to see her cry everytime she pours it
out. It kills me to think that all I can do is to just touch her and
try my best to say the right things. I try to remain the positive,
cheerful friend who always makes her laugh. Although I manage to make
her smile at least, I can feel that her mind is kicking her pains.
Her mind is on her son who will be turning three two weeks after her
operation. She wants to be there on his birthday, and this alone gives
her enough spirit to fight.
Her mind is on her husband who is going through his own personal battles.
Her mind is on her sister who is trying to raise two kids on her own.
Her mind is on her Dad who still doesn’t know about his favorite
daughter’s condition until this day. She dreads telling him about it,
knowing fully well that it will definitely affect his sagging health.
I pray for her everyday, and so do all our friends — including
those whose routine does not include praying. They even send her
encouraging messages. All these give her the strength she needs as we
approach the day of her operation. I know God never fails us, and she
will receive His grace just when she needs it most.
We have searched our hearts for answers, written our thoughDistortion9ts for others to read and understand, and now we are defending our reason for living. Ready when you are, Grace.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m the bomb!

Doctor X: You’ve got aneurysm. Me: a new what? Aneurysm. Defined by Wikipedia as a localized, blood-filled balloon-like bulge in the wall of a blood vessel, they can commonly occur in arteries at the base of the brain and an aortic aneurysm occurs in the main artery carrying blood from the left ventricle of the heart. Doctor X: When its size increases, there is a significant risk of rupture, resulting in severe hemorrhage, other complications or death. Aneurysms can be hereditary or caused by disease, both of which cause the wall of the blood vessel to weaken.... I was swiftly brought back to four years ago when they said I had a tumor in my brain that they had to take out. Surreal. I did not know how to channel my reactions – these things only happen in movies. Since when did I get on the Truman Show? Avant art? No. This is a CT Angiogram of my cerebral arteries. Doctor X: You have a 2% risk of rupture and it will increase at that rate every year that you leave it alone… A

The Giant Wakes Up

Today, a sleeping giant woke up following a 3-year hiatus. Not to devour what's on her path...Not to harm anyone (she's not made for that)...But to re-live the life she forgot. I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up -- to voraciously write about anything: poetry, songs, news, features, publicity stories, misalettes (yes), speeches (uh-huh) and at one point  I started a young love novel (Not Shakespearean at all, only meant for paperbacks) written manually  on sheets of recycled paper. As of this writing, this manuscript is now a tummy-filler for a colony of termies living inside our house. Either that or blown away through an open window. Simple enough. NOT!!! Fast forward to making presentations to my internal team, my gamut of clients and sometimes, in classes of teaching buddies. For someone who's an introvert, there was nothing to it. Practice makes perfect, er near perfect is more like it. Then came a series of misfortunes: finding out that a series of migra

Welcome to my bag...

If you were to be trapped on an island and you only had one thing you can bring with you there, what'll it be? Your cellphone, sans the charger? What good is that?... Your trendy laptop? And if you run out of batt, how can you kill all the pigs with your angry birds? Or your freshly delivered iPad2, and if there's no wifi, you will have a very ergonomic tray fit for cookies and tea. But not me -- of all the things that I can take with me, it's my most precious bag. And if you know me like my husband or BFF, you'd know that my bags are no ordinary bags. Imagine her little tote in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? I'd have a blast if my bag could hold a tent fit for me and my boys! But that's how essential my bag is for me. It is basic, indispensable and utterly necessary for obvious reasons. It holds my identity, and hosts loads of other things that are important to me -- from phones to make-up, from pens to life-saving pills, and toys for my small a