Skip to main content

From The Chronicles of Zak: Feeling Nemo!

Photo robbed from Ninang Carmen Dulguime's
 photo bucket on Facebook! 

The Great Barrier Reef is home of the best anemene…ann…ameneme…anone…? Anemone!

It’s easy enough to capture and set as a background for computer screen…or a lazy lit aquarium as we have in the house.

For some reason though, today, the aquarium look more massive than other days. I wasn’t just peering through the squeaky clean glass – I was swimming among Malakai’s goldfish and clown fish. His janitor could not be disturbed at the bottom of the tank and the other smaller fish played tag, chasing each other across the wide, open sea!!!

I was peering down the bottom of the sea, with my goggles on and wearing the orange life vest they give away during a shipwreck or a plane wreck. Everything around tasted like salt – Is this good for me, I wondered. The water was cold all around and the blue of the water seem to be takjng on a darker and darker shade as I floated forward, but the bottom of the sea remained crystal clear, with only the occasional bubbles disturbing the clarity of the view. Still, it was a fleeting disturbance.

My heart was pumping in my ears, my head throbbing, but not in a painful way. I gasped for air to clear my vision, but I’d be mesmerized again by the little, peaceful village under water when I peer through the surface of the sea again.

In my mind, I was imagining looking at a 3D painting where you need to slightly cross your eyes in order to distort the image in front that, in turn, reveals the hidden image of an elephant or what not (yes, that’s what I do). But here, the bottom of the sea creates a vision of a tunnel that seems to slowly expand in front of my eyes, beckoning me to go inside, except that, I feel anchored to the surface of the water by my life vest. So I come up for air and store some in my mouth again before I put my face in the water again.

I am tired, but I could not stop kicking – with one leg, then with both legs. To a professional swimmer, I probably look like a dog clumsily keeping mu head above water, my kicking legs are uncoordinated and my arms are flailing excitedly and falling under water when I get tired. Absolutely silly. But so what? The sound of my kicking legs and the occasional blur of the bubbles was good enough indication that I was still alive…and, yes, kicking.

My breathing was hard and heavy, like I had asthma. Everything was loud when I put y head up above water, but there was a stark contrast when I peer through the water, because then the sound of my kicking was muffled, and my beating heart was just a mild palpitation.

I can see fishes in all sorts of colors, shapes and sizes – there were long, slim fishes that looked like they were 3 inches long, and smaller black ones that are rounder in shape. I saw Nemo’s family and some that looked like Dory’s, but they’re probably from another continent because they was more purplish in hue. My most favorite, though, are the bright, blue, neon-colored fishes – I saw one first, then I saw another, and pretty soon, they formed a school of fish with a bright blue glow that’s enough to light the whole place. It was amazing!

Then there was a garden of corals – flower shaped that came in all sizes! They only came in one shade of grey, which made me yearn for my brush and paint so Malakai and I can paint color into them. My, what a canvass that would make!

I needed a respite so I tried to steer myself to the direction of an anchored barge (well not really, but it looks like one and for lack of a better word, keri na yan). It was made of plastic, but it was kept afloat. I climbed up like I was climbing out of a swimming pool and was swayed to calmdom. On ordinary days, I’d take Serc when I get this feeling, but the swaying was a rhythm I embraced while I let me breathing normalize. The heat of the sun wasn’t as painful, but I can feel it burning my skin. I couldn’t care less. The view from up here was breathtaking: the greens and blues of the water has a shade of grey at the bottom, but the fishes that swam all around…oh my, is all I can say.

I muttered a prayer of thanks to have witnessed a view with front row seats. God is wonderful, indeed!

Marlin: Wow.
Coral: Mmm.
Marlin: Wow.
Coral: Mm-hmm.
Marlin: Wow.
Coral: Yes, Marlin. I... No, I see it. It's beautiful.
Marlin: So, Coral, when you said you wanted an ocean view, you didn't think you were going to get the whole ocean, did you? Huh?
[deep breath]
Marlin: Oh, yeah. A fish can breathe out here. Did your man deliver, or did he deliver?
Coral: My man delivered.
Marlin: And it wasn't so easy.
Coral: Because a lot of other clownfish had their eyes on this place.
[Excerpt from  the 2003 Disney film, Finding Nemo | http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0266543/]

I was beckoned back into the water, now with a couple of hands holding mine as we floated jointly back to the shoreline.

I still got scared. I was still short of breath. I still felt the bottom of the sea coming nearer to swallow me up like a monster.

But I could not keep myself from dipping my head to take in the beautiful sight. If my eyes could take snapshots of the view, I’d have a magnificent album to post now. But as it is, my challenged photographic memory can only take in as much and so I’m writing them all down here before I lose them.

To the other side, I must have looked silly with my bloated face peering down the surface every 2 minutes. I’m pretty sure the creatures below had a blast at the sight, but who cares?

I’ve slept through the early afternoon, with the salty, but clean sea breeze caressing my skin, but super glad to have been roused from this much-needed nap to see the hidden wonders of the sights beneath the shores of San Juan, Batangas.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I’m the bomb!

Doctor X: You’ve got aneurysm. Me: a new what? Aneurysm. Defined by Wikipedia as a localized, blood-filled balloon-like bulge in the wall of a blood vessel, they can commonly occur in arteries at the base of the brain and an aortic aneurysm occurs in the main artery carrying blood from the left ventricle of the heart. Doctor X: When its size increases, there is a significant risk of rupture, resulting in severe hemorrhage, other complications or death. Aneurysms can be hereditary or caused by disease, both of which cause the wall of the blood vessel to weaken.... I was swiftly brought back to four years ago when they said I had a tumor in my brain that they had to take out. Surreal. I did not know how to channel my reactions – these things only happen in movies. Since when did I get on the Truman Show? Avant art? No. This is a CT Angiogram of my cerebral arteries. Doctor X: You have a 2% risk of rupture and it will increase at that rate every year that you leave it alone… A

The Giant Wakes Up

Today, a sleeping giant woke up following a 3-year hiatus. Not to devour what's on her path...Not to harm anyone (she's not made for that)...But to re-live the life she forgot. I knew what I wanted to be when I grew up -- to voraciously write about anything: poetry, songs, news, features, publicity stories, misalettes (yes), speeches (uh-huh) and at one point  I started a young love novel (Not Shakespearean at all, only meant for paperbacks) written manually  on sheets of recycled paper. As of this writing, this manuscript is now a tummy-filler for a colony of termies living inside our house. Either that or blown away through an open window. Simple enough. NOT!!! Fast forward to making presentations to my internal team, my gamut of clients and sometimes, in classes of teaching buddies. For someone who's an introvert, there was nothing to it. Practice makes perfect, er near perfect is more like it. Then came a series of misfortunes: finding out that a series of migra

Welcome to my bag...

If you were to be trapped on an island and you only had one thing you can bring with you there, what'll it be? Your cellphone, sans the charger? What good is that?... Your trendy laptop? And if you run out of batt, how can you kill all the pigs with your angry birds? Or your freshly delivered iPad2, and if there's no wifi, you will have a very ergonomic tray fit for cookies and tea. But not me -- of all the things that I can take with me, it's my most precious bag. And if you know me like my husband or BFF, you'd know that my bags are no ordinary bags. Imagine her little tote in Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows? I'd have a blast if my bag could hold a tent fit for me and my boys! But that's how essential my bag is for me. It is basic, indispensable and utterly necessary for obvious reasons. It holds my identity, and hosts loads of other things that are important to me -- from phones to make-up, from pens to life-saving pills, and toys for my small a